– Tap focuses on the challenge of "creating sounds" with the feet. Technique is taught through rhythm exercises, short combinations of steps, and across the floor work, which is then put together into a longer combination. In this class, we explore the body in relationship to the feet, and how to shift your movement when dancing to different genres of music. Rhythm tap vocabulary is developed using exercises which emphasize clean sounds and musicality. Songs range from Swing, Hip-Hop, Big Band, Broadway, Rhythm/Musical Theatre, or sometimes Acapella.
– This class typically consists of a warm-up which concentrates on placement, stretching and strengthening the muscles. The class continues with jazz isolation, breaking down turns and across the floor work, focusing on leaps, kicks, and jumps. At the end of each class there is a choreographed combination to contemporary dance music, which gets the students dancing and having fun! A few weeks into the season, the students begin to work on choreographed songs which they will perform in the recital at the end of the year. The jazz dance can range from Broadway style to pop, classic jazz, or even rock.
– This class begins with a warm up, which focuses on stretching, plies, tendues, extensions, and isolations. The class continues with center work including different types of turns and across the floor work, focusing on connecting movements and making the transitions between steps appear seamless. Each class ends with a choreographed combination, which will challenge the student to use all the elements together with a sense of style and presentation. The focus of lyrical is to tell a story through the body without the use of words. Each class will be given their own lyrical dance for the recital and may be combined with other classes for a lyrical production.
– Modern is characterized by its bending of the spine into contractions as well as the use of off-center movement such as tilts and layouts. This class focuses on balance, direction, momentum, release of joints, and individual expression. Modern uses various types of music including classical and New Age. Dancers traditionally are barefoot.
– Ballet is the foundation of all types of dance. This class is designed to teach a student discipline, graceful body movements, positioning and poise. It is essential for a dance student to have ballet technique, especially one that is pursuing dance as a profession. Every class consists of a ballet barre warm-up, center-work, and across the floor technique.
– This class begins with a ballet barre. Ballet is the basis for every type of dance and in this class we will focus on strengthening and improving the student’s technique. The center work will focus on ballet turns and extensions, but will also combine modern movements such as contractions, and floor work. The across the floor work is generally done to percussion music, focusing on clarifying the students’ ballet and modern technique and being able to use what they have learned in different combinations of movements which will change from week to week.
– Our hip-hop classes are high-energy street movements as seen on MTV Music Videos. We always use the hottest hip-hop, R&B, and Reggae music. Hip-Hop is one of the most popular types of dance among the young generation. We find that what appeals to most dancers is Hip-Hop’s express, giving the dancer a chance to learn technique, but at the same time have fun!
- A high energy all boy Hip-hop class taught by a male instructor focusing on teaching various hip hop techniques from B-Boy, Break dancing, street moves and what's new and hot today! This class uses new music from artists such as Jay-z and Kanye West as well as songs from the past from the beastie boys. The Stanford Boyz have been stealing the show for the past few years and we are very proud of them!
– This combination class begins with a warm-up and teaches students basic tap and jazz technique, terminology, and movements. This class is designed to teach the students tap and jazz fundamentals while enhancing rhythm, motor skills and timing in a fun environment.
– Sesigned specifically for beginners, each class starts with a warm-up on the ballet barre. The center and across the floor work focuses on ballet turns, leaps and positions. Students learn basic ballet technique and vocabulary in a class setting that teaches self-confidence and interpersonal skills.
– Our competition team is for students dedicated to dance. Students who have been working hard, advancing in all of their classes, and show dedication to out studio will be able to audition for our team. Members must take a minimum of 4 classes a week to compete (lyrical or ballet must be one of them). Attendance is very important for all classes; members who miss more than three classes will be asked to leave the team. Extra practices will be scheduled as needed on Fridays or Saturdays and all members must be available. Members must also be available to do three local regional competitions and one out of state national each year. Please note that there are extra fees involved for entry fees, team wear, etc.
– A one-on-one session with any of our professional teachers to enhance dance skills in a desired area. We also offer private lessons to prepare students who would like to audition for specialized performing arts schools.
ACRO- Acrobatics is a great way to build confidence and raise self-esteem while building strength and endurance. Students will learn to perform forward and backward rolls, handstands, cartwheels, front and back walkovers and much more!!
ZUMBA- Are you ready to party yourself into shape? That’s exactly what the Zumba® program is all about. It's an exhilarating, effective, easy-to-follow, Latin-inspired, calorie-burning dance fitness-party™ that’s moving millions of people toward joy and health. Zumba Fitness® is the only Latin-inspired dance-fitness program that blends red-hot international music, created by Grammy Award-winning producers, and contagious steps to form a "fitness-party" that is downright addictive. Since its inception in 2001, the Zumba program has grown to become the world's largest – and most successful – dance-fitness program with more than 12 million people of all shapes, sizes and ages taking weekly Zumba classes across more than 125 countries.
MOMMY & ME- Our popular Mommy & Me class is back on Fridays from 9:30 - 11:00am! For ages 1 - 3. Circle time, Crafts, Singing, Dancing, Snack Time & Much More! Call the studio for more information.
Placement is made at the discretion of the program directors and faculty. The first 2 weeks will be used as assessment weeks. At this time, teachers may require a student to move to a different class, depending on level and ability. If you feel that the level is not appropriate after the first 2 weeks, an evaluation may be requested. All decisions are made by professionals and are with your best interest in mind.
(to top of page)